Monday, March 29, 2010

I {heart} faces: Week 13 - “Dramatic B&W” Photo Challenge!

This week's challenge on
Is Dramatic b&W photos. I knew I had the PERFECT photo (lets just hope the judges see it that way! ;-) ) To me, Dramatic photos aren't completely about the lighting, or composition...that's only part of it...the other part is whether the photo SPEAKS to you. Does it convey dramatic feelings and emotions within the viewer?
This is my daughter, a regular photo shoot subject for me. On this day we were taking "fall" photos with our enormous pumpkin, but somehow, in the midst of my shooting spree, I captured this completely non scripted photo (ALWAYS my favorite photos in the bunch) After the day was done, and I went back over the photos, and noticed this one, and the way she seemed to be praying, with the flag slightly over her shoulder, it melted my heart, and made me cry! Not too long before this photo was taken I had read a poem called "I am the Child of a Solider" (as far as I know the Author is unknown) My husband has proudly served his country in the Army for the last 19 years, and we are a VERY proud Army family...this photo fits that poem like a glove! To this day, I have no idea what it was she really WAS doing....but it captured the dramatics of our everyday, Army, life!! The photo also speaks VOLUMES of how it must feel to be the child of a soldier as evident in her eyes, and hands. This photo is one of the most dramatic, and emotional photos I have ever captured, and it was all by chance! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but every time I see this photo I only think of seven...."I am the Child of a Soldier...."




I am the Child of a Soldier
My Hometown is nowhere,
my friends are everywhere.
I grew up with knowledge
that home is where the heart is
and the family with no independence
on the dwelling.
Mobility is my way of life.
Some would wonder about my roots,
yet they are as deep and strong
as the might oak.
I sink them quickly absorbing all an area offers
and hopefully giving enrichment in retrospect.
Friendships are formed in hours
and kept for decades.
I will never grow up with someone,
but I will mature with many.
Be it inevitable that paths part,
there is constant hope that they will meet again.
Love of country...
respect and pride fill my being
when Old Glory passes in review.
As I stand to honor that flag,
so I also stand in honor of all soldiers and,
most especially,
to the parents whose life created mine.
Because of this...
I have shared in the rich heritage of Army life.

To see more wonderfully Dramatic photos, head over to I {heart} Faces

4 comments:

  1. love the picture and the poem, we're a military fam too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a priceless picture!! No wonder you cried, it's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats poem gave me chills and tears! WOW! boy can i relate to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful capture that's for sure and it does fit this poem and your family so well. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to let me know you were here! I welcome what you have to say!!